The crisp autumn days call me to make this quick and easy soup, because it can be prepared and served within 45 minutes and further more most of the ingredients are store cupboard items.
Big hearty soup is great for lunch, either at home or taken in a flask to reheat at work.
Soup making Tips
TIP: To make vegetable soup a filling meal and balance your blood sugar levels, add some protein e.g. beans, lentils, chickpeas, tofu, edamame beans, shredded chicken or flaked fish. Likewise, add an extra portion of greens to increase your vegetables for the day – no need to cook, just add leafy greens raw and they will wilt in the warm soup.
TIP: Any leftovers – freeze and use for lunch or dinner. Use a tall 200ml beaker cup with lid, which is an ideal one soup portion size and fit easily into a freezer drawer.
Ingredients for soup
- Medium sized butternut squash
- Red onion (1)
- 380g carton of chopped tomatoes
- Organic vegetable stock cube (1)
- 1 dessertspoon of dried chilli flakes
- 380g carton of cannellini beans (or 230g drained weight)
- 2 handfuls of spinach or other leafy greens
- Chop butternut squash into large chunks and put in a large pan.
- Add tomatoes, red onion, crumbled vegetable stock cube and chilli flakes.
- Then add cold water to pan – just enough to cover the vegetables.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for approx. 30 minutes.
- Use a hand vegetable masher or fork to mush up the vegetables and add some more water to get the soup consistency you like.
- Add cannellini beans and bring to boil again, then reduce to a simmer.
- Then add spinach or other leafy greens.
- Finally,heck the taste and add seasoning, if needed.
Enjoy! Delicious and warming. Find more recipes like this here.