I always look forward to a little (or a lot) of ME TIME! A time when I may choose to relax, with my family and friends, without the pressure of business and without the requirement to DO! I heard a quote once (not sure who said it) “we are human beings not human doings”. I intend to “BE” over the holidays.
Are you able to let your self off the hook of perfection. Enjoy your Christmas planning and preparations and consciously move into the slow lane, savour the moment and take pleasure in the lead up to the festive holidays.
I absolutely love decorating my home, planning special food and most of all spending time with loved ones. However sometimes pleasure gets squeezed out by being busy. So a few years ago I made some changes. I now take the simply, uncomplicated, imperfectly perfect slow lane to Christmas. Instead of rushing about and being busy until Christmas Eve I now savour the Christmas season and enjoy the whole month.
My Favourite Christmas Things to do
Here are a few of my ‘favourite things to do’ when I’m in the slow lane over the Christmas holidays. I hope they will assist you in slowing down, in a deliciously enjoyable way:
- Spending an hour in your local bookshop, browsing and choosing a novel for your holiday reading.
- Indulge yourself with a pile of glossy magazines and a cup of jasmine tea.
- Get out in the fresh air for a meandering strolling walk – no destination, no timescale, in the park, on the beach, along a riverside, in the countryside perhaps calling into the local pub or teashop en route.
- A mid-afternoon bubble filled hot bath.
- Spend all day pampering your self for party time (the way you did as a teenager).
- A trip to the cinema.
- A long chat on the telephone or skype with your best friend.
- An old movie after breakfast in your pyjamas.
- Try out a new recipe.
- Play a board game.
- Design games and a quiz (with the help of one of the little people in the family) for a family party.
- Have a “techo’ break – no emails and no social media – it takes a little getting used to but is truly blissful once you have let go!
I’d like to invite you to slow down, to surrender the need for pre-planning and organisation, to step off the fast track into the slow lane.
Need a little more help with having a healthy and energetic festive season?
Download my Gift Christmas e-book click here: How to be a Healthy Hostess this Christmas.